Tuesday 27 May 2014

Hung out to dry

I should probably get around to explaining what work I am doing in Ghana. The project I'm working on is called Is Anyone Listening Index (IALI) and it is being run in conjunction with the Center for Global Development (CGD). It involves running a survey across eight countries and twenty-eight languages! The goal is to put power into the hands of the people by allowing them to give direct input towards aid prioritization. The results will be used to create an index to compare the priorities of donor nations to those of the donee. We have secured translators for many of the languages but there are a few that are proving to be a challenge. 

In other news we had a small adventure when we failed to see clouds sneaking up on us. The storm came on so fast that we had little choice but to seek shelter under on of the phone credit umbrellas that line the streets (like the red one below). The rain water on the side of the street was a lot deeper moments earlier and none of our shoes, or legs for that matter, escaped getting thoroughly soaked. The unexpected yet refreshing roadside shower passed as suddenly as it came and so we hung out at the tech junction to dry up while my smartphone had a seizure. 

Right before the storm we had a nice meal that almost cost two whole dollars during which I tried a drink called Malta. It was very quick to activate my gag reflex and in vain I downed a bottle of Fanta which by no means helped matters. Sadly I had to take the meal to go and I think I'll be a lot more reluctant to experiment with new drinks when I'm really hungry :s

Oh I forgot about the rooster, he is one of many nearby that love to wake us up far earlier than we'd like. I much prefer the deep dried version.



2 comments:

  1. How big is the donor-donee matching problem? I've seen a picture with a sea of wheelchairs being abandoned by African locals because they were not suitable for use in one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As of now we honestly don't know but hopefully by the end of the project we will. The bore hole for water nearby was dug by an NGO and they didn't factor in that they had to put in a drainage system so now they've created a nice large pond for mosquitoes to lay eggs in. I would imagine the same kind of problems exist in other doner situations where they don't fully recognize the requirements. Also do I know you in real life because I don't recognize your username?

      Delete