Sunday 18 May 2014

Greasing

My pre-departure and in country training with the other Junior Fellows just ended yesterday and I got to the VOTO House today! We got the day to settle in and tomorrow we will begin work on our project called IALI (Is Anyone Listening Index) which is funded by the World Bank; More on that later.

Arriving in Accra I had to "grease" my way out of the airport, I guess there is a first time for everything. I don't think I'll ever know if the last checkpoint was legitimate but the money requested "under the table" certainly did make everything go smoothly.

I also had a great learning experience in Kumasi when I had to buy some items during my in country training. I don't think I'll ever let a shopkeeper know I am from Canada again; unless I am in the mood to spend 10 times as much as I need to on bath slippers of course. Being able to identify as Indian has never been more convenient.




The stalls in Kumasi where I had my first shopping experience.



Houses in various stages of construction in an affluent area in the outskirts of Kumasi

2 comments:

  1. Awesome entry Zair! Super excited to hear about your adventures throughout the summer! Also, the picture of the market stalls is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this looks amazing. Such a unique place with so much to explore and discover. I hope you will do something special on this adventure.

    ReplyDelete